Monday, September 1, 2014

Is the First Pitch most Important?

When meeting new people, first impressions are important because it gives the other person a sense of who he or she is. But does it accurately represent their true self or is it just another quick to judge assumption based off a one-time encounter with someone I have never met before?

Because the one encounter with new people doesn't accurately represent his or her personality, I have no right to make judgments about someone based on loose observations. Whenever I experience a bad first impression with new people, I don't automatically assume that he or she behaves awkward regularly. Likewise in Baseball, the first pitch can give the batter a sense of what he is up against, but not the summary of the pitcher's career. For example if I faced a pitcher that threw a 95 mph fastball that nearly hit my face, I would have dodged out of sheer terror of being hit by that kind of ball. However, that doesn't mean I will freeze every time I see the ball coming at such a high velocity. It was probably a bad first pitch from a pitcher that knows how to pitch very well. Or vice versa, where the pitcher threw an amazing strike as his first pitch, but turns out that was his only strike throughout the entire game.

So the first pitch from any pitcher does not always reflect his skills, especially because most pitchers have a more varieties of different pitches to use on the mound. It is the cumulative effect of all pitches that determine the outcome of the game, which emphasizes meaning to every pitch counts. So I make sure I don't make any judgments about someone's pitching until I become familiar with his style. Also as a pitcher myself, I fully devote myself to every pitch so that every pitch I throw will have an effect on the outcome.

1 comment:

  1. Good metaphor! Baseball has a ton of good ones and you are learning so much about life from the game. Way to go, Albert!

    ReplyDelete