Monday, September 29, 2014

Stitchmarks on my Bat: The impact that Lasts Forever

I enjoy participating in every moment of a baseball game. From pitching to fielding there are a variety of tasks that I can do to contribute to the game. However, I cannot remember specific details that happened in the game unless someone records the actual game.
When I hit the ball with my wooden bat, a mark is carved into the wood. As the game progresses, more marks can be made as evidence that I made contact with the ball. It is evidence that I contributed to the game somehow and will last until my bat is broken and disposed. When I say I made a hit, does not necessarily mean I got on base, it means I prevented the ball from entering the catcher's mitt and put it into play. It could possibly let the runners advance to the next base by sacrificing a batter to an out for a scoring advantage. It can be a small dent, but it still helps me remember my contribution to the game itself. Sometimes I might not even put it into play. I could make contact but it might have been caught out or fouled off. Although I failed to help the runners advance, the mark means I took a chance and swung at a pitch that was potentially a strike. Personally, getting struck out swinging is much better than getting struck out looking. The feeling of missing aggressively is actually more tolerable than to watch a pitch fall into the strike zone, because you will get the feeling that you could and should have done something. My wooden bat will not last for 80 years, but I intend to relive the memories while I still have a memento in my possession.

3 comments:

  1. I totally know how you feel, even though I play a different sport. That totally makes sense

    ReplyDelete
  2. Albert, I can feel your passion for baseball as it connects with mine. I didn't just read this one blog, I read them all. Honestly I loved reading your baseball blogs, they just seemed right. You are an amazing writer and remember If you right of baseball, I'll be reading.

    ReplyDelete