Sunday, September 14, 2014

Racial Stereotypes...to yourself?

Since I have had many experiences with different cultures, I know that most stereotypes about certain groups of people are not true. As a Korean I faced the usual stereotypes about Asians: small eyes, math geek, ping pong, rice, and etc. However, instead of being offended, I took two different approaches: I either just ignore their ignorance or I turn it into humor. I basically make fun of my own race.
I do not know why, but society has accepted the fact that a person promoting his own race's stereotype is considered humorous, while a person of a different race insulting other races is being racist. Is it because as an Asian, I am merely pointing out my own race's stereotypes, it becomes funny? And when people of other races do the same, they are being rude? Just let that sink in for a second....
But in reality, It can be helpful as a society. We are recognizing our common traits and turning them into humor. It shows that we have developed an immunity and an awareness towards our own stereotypes and we have grown stronger to take in these insults. However, trying to justify racism and being an asshole will not stop racism. We have to make sure we stay within our boundaries, then we could all have a laugh afterwards.

"Hey are you Japanese?" "No I'm actually Korean." "What's the difference?" "From that day on, I never talked to him again..."

3 comments:

  1. Sorry about cussing on this blog... It just felt right...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's right Albert, it does feel right. I'd have done the same thing. The mature thing to do is to educate the guy but you know what, no one's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you realized how messed up and backwards this way of thinking is. I don’t think its right for anyone to make fun of a race, even if he or she is apart of it. One of the more hurtful types of racism is naivety.

    ReplyDelete