Tuesday, October 28, 2014

I got 99 problems but a pitch ain't one

I recently started pitching for Sage's baseball team and since then, I practiced non-stop to master the delivery of my pitches. As I stood on the mound, I felt nervous and hesitant about what results would come out after I threw the next pitch; this fear limited my throwing abilities and led me to throw everywhere except the strike zone. I practiced harder everyday to fix my shortcomings. It was grueling with the sun beating down on my neck. I could feel each sweat bead crawling down my skin as I delivered with all my might. I stared intently at the mitt I was supposed to throw into, thinking about how I should throw straight into the glove. However, my pitches never seemed to listen to me. As it dashed towards the mitt, missing the strike zone in the process, it felt as if the ball was a wild animal out of control; I was just providing each pitch with velocity, so it could travel its own pathway. I spent months trying to tame this wild beast, knowing that if I succeed, I could use it as a weapon to "strike" fear into the batter as they meekly swing and miss. However, the journey to assume authority over my pitches is a difficult task, especially when I lack experience playing baseball in general. However, I felt a strange sense of calmness while I practiced on the mound, which helped me focus on my weak points. I realized I was pulling the ball too hard with my fingers in a futile effort to add velocity into my pitches. As I practiced constantly releasing at the same point , my pitches have become significantly accurate. I can slightly adjust the pressure of my index and middle finger to change the location of where I want my pitches to travel. I also practiced following through after finishing my pitch, so that I can increase both consistency and the velocity of my pitches. I used to be hesitant and meek when I stood on the mound, but I learned that enjoying the intensity and the responsibility of being a pitcher stokes the passion that burns furiously in my heart.

4 comments:

  1. I love your title! I also loved how you revealed how hard it was to get the perfect pitch. I didn't know it was so hard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From personally catching you, I feel like all you have to do is relax. You pitch fine and got a wicked curve. The only thing that you should worry about is the "yips". If you watch How I Met Your Mother you know what im talking about Albert. Basically, overthinking a simple thing will lead to failure. So when you pitch in game, just throw like you are throwing nonchalantly with me catching like after practice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Albert! Such a creative title! Don't worry about pitching, I know you have the skills to master it and all you got to do is to believe in yourself and everything will be fine! Keep Grinding!

    ReplyDelete