Thursday, October 16, 2014

Last Resort Sport

It is pretty clear by now that baseball is the sport I am most passionate about. However, I started playing when I entered high school, so I don't have much experience compared to my teammates who played since they were 5. In fact, I was into many other sports before I started baseball. For example, I was a biathlete, a rugby player, a soccer player, and, to this day, a tennis player, a cross country runner and a boxer. I bounced around different sports before I willingly devoted most of my time to baseball. I will admit, I really had fun while I spent my time on the rugby and soccer field, the tennis court, the cross-country terrain, next to the punching bag, and even in the swimming pool. I learned a myriad of strategic movements, so I can perform efficiently in each sport. In rugby, for example, I learned that I did not necessarily have to be able to tackle and push the opponents back every time, which I was incapable of doing due to my miniscule body size as a 12 year old. I learned to go with their momentum by letting them run past me and grabbing onto their hips when they were besides me. This caused the runners to trip and fall in the same manner a traditional tackle would without causing too many injuries to myself. However, was I really passionate for other sports like I am for baseball? Or did I waste my time and money practicing for a sport that I will eventually quit later on? Honestly, it is not about whether I can succeed in life through this sport, it is about the unforgettable experiences I have gained as I participated in each sport. I do not regret ever trying to participate in various sports because it means I can experience each and every one without the dedication and effort required to becoming a professional. Even after my experiences with quitting different sports, I can confidently say that the only time the baseball will ever leave the diamond, is when I hit a home run with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment